Ten ways to boost your immune system
Most of us don’t think about our immune system until we become ill. It’s something most of us take for granted, yet it’s working on our behalf every minute of the day. Why is it that some people never get sick, and some people seem to get sick all the time? And why do some people go years without being sick, then become sick many times in one year, or even suddenly have something serious, such as cancer?
The immune system is a complex system that constantly works to adapt and modulate itself in order to fight the many external exposures that can affect your health. It, like other body systems, can be compromised if not cared for properly. Your immune system is programmed specifically to carry out functions that require nutrition to help it to work effectively.
We indeed have the ability to help support our immune system through our diet. Yes, that right — every time you eat or drink you are either feeding disease or fighting it. There are many foods, including fruits, veggies, herbs, botanicals, mushrooms, and more that help boost the body’s ability to fight sickness and disease. Conversely, there are many foods in today’s modern diet that can weaken our immunity.
So boost up. Here are my top 10 tips for enhancing your immune system all year long:
1) Stress less. It has been proven that chronic stress is a major contributor to weakening the immune system.
2) Sleep 7-9 hours every night. How many hours of sleep do you get each night? Is it restful or fitful? Quality is also important, as your body does a lot of its repair when you are in deep rest.
3) Excercise helps reduce stress and it also has immunity enhancing benefits when not over done, and when combined with the right amount of rest and repair.
4) Take Zinc. Zinc is a known immune supportive mineral and its benefits go much beyond immune support.
5) Green smoothies should become your new best friend. These can be loaded with fresh organic greens and deep colored fruits such as berries along with coconut and other healthy foods to provide dietary micro-nutrients known to support a healthy immune system.
6) Hot water. Drink hot water with lemon daily to help keep your body detoxified.
7) Vitamin D. Supplement with Vitamin D, one of the biggest supporters of immune system health.
8) Take a nap. There, I’ve given you permission to take time to yourself each day. I say take 30 minutes a day to shut down your mind and hopefully sleep. If you have to choose between exercise and sleep, you be the judge, but 9 times out of 10 sleep must prevail.
9) Be positive. Studies show positive people get sick less often. There is a big connection between the mind and body that cannot be ignored. People who often engage in “stinkin thinkin” are more likely to get sick.
10) Take probiotics. A healthy gut is an important part of strong immunity. Eating fermented foods is also good for the gut. Yogurt, not so much, because it’s from dairy and that can be hard of the gut.
Well, there you have it. I hope you will put some of these tips into place in your own life on a regular basis, because the best thing you can do for your family is to be healthy. Right?
For more great health tips and information, feel free to visit my Facebook page at Facebook.com/bodytalkwithheathermorgan.
Yours in good health,