The summer seven challenge
Greetings, Sonoma. It’s September, and one of the busiest months of the year for me as a nutrition coach. Kids are back to school and parents are ready to take on their “summer seven.” That’s right. You’ve heard of the “freshman fifteen” for college students, haven’t you? Well, we Sonomans have a campus of our own, and it’s alive with festivities, food, and fun. Especially during the summer. But, unfortunately, all that partying comes without a price. Gaining five to seven pounds in three months is not uncommon in Sonoma. Did you gain your Sonoma seven this summer? Well here are a few tips to help you to get back on track.
Here is my top 10 list for getting rid of the dreaded “Sonoma Summer Seven:”
1. Cut the beverages! YOU were designed to drink WATER. It’s that simple. Way too many of our calories come from beverages. Drink only water and unsweetened tea if you want to lose weight. And that does not mean you can have the fake sweeteners. They make you fat too! Oh, and cut out the alcohol until you reach your goal.
2. Increase your protein intake. Clean, organic, LEAN meats, fish, poultry.
3. If it had eyes or grew in the ground, eat it! If it didn’t, don’t!
4. If it came out of a box or a package, avoid it.
5. Cook and prepare the whole natural foods mentioned above. Try preparing soups and meals on Sundays so you have left overs during the week.
6. Quit eating out! Bring snacks and left overs with you.
7. Decrease your starchy carbs. This includes rice, corn, pastas, potatoes, breads, pastas, etc.
8. Lift heavy weight. If you are doing a lot of cardio and wondering why it’s not helping it’s because cardio makes you increase stress hormone, while breaking you down. It eats away at your lean mass verses the fat mass that you are wanting to burn!
9. Get a pedometer! Power walk. I love walking and recommend a minimum of 10,000 steps per day!
10. Get a partner or buddy. Studies show that partnering with someone when on a health program helps you to reach your goal. Be accountable to each other.
I highly recommend the Paleo Challenge (cave man diet and exercise) going on at EA’s CrossFit. It’s a nine-week program with the right kind of guided fitness program and diet. There is a big group of Sonomans doing it, and results are not an option. It begins September 17 and runs to mid-November. It’s not too late to join! Call 415.314.1399 and EA will give you the details. Also visit their facebook page for more info at facebook.com/eacrossfit.
Here’s to you looking and feeling your best!
Heather Morgan, MS, NLC